Name/TitleCuthbert's pectoral cross, Durham Cathedral
About this objectCuthbert (c. 634–687) was a Christian monk in the Celtic tradition who became a bishop in the early Northumbrian church and is associated with the monasteries of Melrose and Lindisfarne: he died at his island hermitage near the latter.
This gold and garnet cross appears to have been buried with him. In 1104 Cuthbert's shrine was moved to Durham from Chester-le-Street, where it had been since Viking raids prompted its removal from Lindisfarne.
Some suggest that the cross may have been a reliquary as the central raised boss contains a cavity with shell walls below the garnet plug.
Subject and Association KeywordsArrivals
Subject and Association KeywordsCrosses
Subject and Association KeywordsBurial bling
Subject and Association KeywordsRelics
Subject and Association DescriptionLearn More: Durham Cathedral video, Lucy 2016; Rollason 1989; Welch 2011.
Medium and MaterialsGold, garnet and shell
Measurements6 cm diameter
Credit LineDurham Cathedral
Object numberEXH10: Durham Cathedral